Reverend Michelle Slater
Reverend Michelle Slater has served Dunbar Heights United Church since July 1, 2003 following a two-point ministry on Vancouver Island.
Rev. Michelle was ordained as a minister in the United Church of Canada, May 9, 1999 in Castlegar, BC. She earned M. Div. degree at Vancouver School of Theology from 1994-1999.
In talking of her ministry she says, in part, her goals are children, youth and adults who:
For Rev. Michelle's complete statement of vision, and that reading list, click here.
- know and live the biblical story; know and share the good news of Jesus Christ; have a relationship with God, both individual and communal;
- belong to a small group in the congregation; share their gifts of time, skills, money and service; who practice prayer and other spiritual practices;
- know a basic repertoire of hymns, responses, and prayers; care for and build one another up in the Body of Christ; and worship weekly.
Cathy Cryder, Ministry with Children, Youth and Families
Cathy Cryder has been a part of the ministry staff at Dunbar Heights since 2004 and brings to her position:
- a deep love and respect for children and the gifts that they bring and the belief that God is revealed to us through the presence, wisdom and joy of children;
- a conviction that the world will become a better place if our children grow up knowing what it means to be part of a community committed to loving, respecting, caring for and empowering others;
- and a belief that the United Church is a safe, respectful and empowering church in which people of all ages might struggle, question, celebrate and challenge what it means to be people who call themselves followers of Christ.
For a more complete biography of Cathy Cryder click here.
Dr. Greg Caisley has served as Choir Director, pianist and organist at Dunbar Heights since October 2008.
For a more complete biography of Dr. Caisley click here.
- As pianist, collaborator and educator, Dr. Caisley has worked throughout Western Canada playing and accompanying musicians and students for twenty years.
- He coaches singers, works as a solo piano adjudicator, and with many professional musicians in recital and recording work.
- Dr. Caisley has adjudicated over 100 music festivals across Canada in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Provincial Music Festivals in Saskatchewan and Alberta.
- Since 2004, he has served as the Director of Keyboard Studies for MusiCamp Alberta; a summer music program for gifted music students from across Alberta and British Columbia.
Sandy Hwang, Nursery
Sandy Hwang, assisted by her sister Joy and Spencer Cotton, has been caring for the youngest members of the Dunbar family in an official capacity since 2003. Her love of children is obvious by her warmth and their love of her.
Sandy graduated with an Honours BSc in Biotechnology program offered jointly by UBC and BCIT. Sandy always finds ways to use her skills and knowledge to help people and make a difference among those she lives and works with.
Sheila Satherley is DHUC's Office Administrator
The 2011-12 Members of Council of Dunbar Heights United Church are:
Past Council Chair
Christian Spiritual Development
Children & Youth Ministry Resource Committee
Ministry and Personnel
Members at Large
Anne Clark, John Smith
Maggie Hosgood, Arthur Ross
David Breen, Penny Jennings, Stuart Leslie,
Annual program report for the year June 2010-June 2011, here.